Tuesday 4 September 2012

Fish Tenga

Mr food is my best friend. He is always eager to pump me with energy anytime, anywhere. He has made me believe that he alone is not responsible for the extra layers around the waistline.

I am a foodie and love to eat. By the layers of adipose tissue around me, you can tell that I come from Khaate Peete Khaandan !! So, when I see food I am overwhelmed. I have  a lovely relationship with food and I am a strict non-vegetarian. I am extremely fond of mutton, chicken, omelette and different types of fish like Hilsa, Bhetki and Pabda. I do not think my appetite will ever abate unless my health intervenes.

I am fond of going out to restaurants for Biryani, Fried rice with delicious mutton/ chicken preparations or a plate of Ilish sorshe with plain rice. And at the end of a great meal, nothing inebriates me more than a Nolen Gurer ice-cream or Ata (custard Apple)Ice-cream.

Here I must confess that having lived in Jorhat, Assam for some time I have learnt simple Assamese food. People of the state have made us feel so loved and have become such good friends for life. Food habits are similar to Bengal, so, I and my family have adopted  their style. As a kid growing up in Assam, my elder daughter, Shreya would eat all day, especially during festivals, visiting one home after another, gorging on rice cakes, fish, pigeon meat, fresh cream etc. You can't be Assamese and not want fish for three out of four meals......just like a Bengali. You also develop a palette for sweet, sour and soupy dishes. Fish Tenga is a dish I have mastered.....

Ingredients....Rohu Fish                                          4 pieces
                     Sliced Tomatoes                                 4-5
                     Elephant Apple (outenga)                  1/2 fruit,cut into small pieces
                     Mustard Oil                                         1 1/2 tbsp
                     Green Chillies,slit                                2
                     Turmeric                                             1 tsp
                     Mustard Seeds                                   1/4 tsp
                     Water                                                 1 cup
                     Salt                                                     As per taste
                     Fresh Coriander                                 A few springs

Method ........Wash the fish well, apply turmeric and salt, and lightly fry the pieces in 1 tbsp mustard oil. Set aside.
Heat the remaining oil, and add the mustard seeds. When they sputter, add sliced tomatoes and fry for a few minutes. Add the elephant apple.
When sauted, sprinkle salt, turmeric powder and water according to desired consistency.
Add the fish and cover the pan with a lid. Let it cook on low flame. Add the slit green chillies and 1 tsp lemon juice and the finely chopped green coriander leaves and cook for 5 minutes.
You can also add the lemon juice at the dinning table while having with rice or avoid completely.
This is a soupy dish.
                                


Rohu Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment