Tuesday 23 July 2013

Jhinge-Chichinge Posto(Snake&Ridged Gourd Dry Curry)


Jhinge-Chichinge Posto



Chichinge is not my family's favourite vegetable but they do enjoy Jhinge. For them, Jhinge-Alu Posto is a dish to die for with kolai er dal. I prefer Chichinge!!

Jhinge & Chichinge are two almost similar veggies. This is a dry curry I love to have with Roti/Chapati but though the other members of my family go along with me, they seem to think its nothing to die for ,unless Kolai er Dal and Rice are served along . Nevertheless, I get my cook to cook it for us when ever possible , to revive my days at my parents ,where I learnt to appreciate all sorts of dishes. Somehow, Ma (my mom) made these dishes to taste so heavenly, I realize that now.

Snake Gourd is long snake like vegetable grown in vines. It has a green skin with long white stripes and it grows fast in warm climates, almost all round the year . Choose young Snake gourd and Ridged Gourd, peel/scrape off  the skin. Cut into small pieces.

This dish that I ate today, was a vegetarian preparation but sometimes I do ask for golden sir fried shrimps to be added. It increases the taste I feel. For that,  just coat 8-10 d'veined & washed shrimps with a pinch of turmeric and salt and stir fry in white oil. Don't discard the oil used to fry.Use the same oil , as it enhances the taste of  Jhinge-Chichinge Posto Chingri Diye.





Ingredients :



Snake Gourd-2-3,chopped
Onion-1,large size,chopped
Green Chilly's-2, slit                                                                            
Snake Gourd(Chichinga)
Turmeric Powder-a pinch or two for slight colour
Poppy Seed-3-4 tbsp
Nigella Seeds(Kalo Jeere)-a pinch only
Sugar-1 tsp
Salt-as per taste
Oil-2 tbsp

Method:


Peel the skin of the Chichinga (Snake Gourd) and Jhinge (Ridged Gourd)  and then cut them into small pieces.
Make a smooth paste of the poppy seeds and 2 green chilly's. Keep the remaining 2 slit chill'ys aside.
Heat oil in a wok and if you are adding Shrimps, stir fry and remove.
In the same oil (add some more to the wok, if oil is less) add a pinch of Nigella seeds. When they splutter add the onions and stir fry till transparent.
Add the Jhinge & Chichinge and stir fry for 5 minutes. 
Add the Poppy seed paste, turmeric paste(Optional), sugar, salt and mix.
Put a lid and cook covered on low flame till the vegetables are soft. Take lid off and check.
If the veggies have softened , then dry up the water completely on high flame.
When the dish is dry, add the 2 Green Chilly's.
Serve.



Jhinge-Chichinge Posto

3 comments:

  1. I realy love your blog but i find it difficult to search for recipes here. it would be great if you could make a recipe list or tag recipes according to ingredients. thanks alot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi there, thank you very much for appreciating.I am getting help arranging my blog. Till then pl bear with me.Please continue to read my posts.keep in touch.

      Delete