Saturday 27 August 2011

Methi Malai Matar(Methi diye matarsuti)

We eat out quite often. Most of the times, if I like something, I start searching for the recipe. I first tasted this dish during my husband’s posting in Punjab. I had this at a small restaurant in Bhatinda and my search for the recipe started immediately. That’s how the Methi Malai Matar came into my recipe repository! After some searching and trial and error, I finally settled on this recipe. It has a creamy taste and texture, yet spicy and aromatic too. Any time I make this dish, my friends end up asking for the recipe. It is delicious.


Ingredients:
Onion – 1 big (chopped)
Cashew nuts – 12 nos (soaked in warm water)
Curd – 2 tbsp
Green cardamom – 2 nos
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Cloves – 2 nos
Salt – 1 tsp
White pepper powder – 1 tsp
Kasturi methi – 1 tbsp
Green peas – 1 cup (boiled)
Paneer – ½ cup (optional)
Cream – 1 cup
Milk – ½ cup
Water – ½ cup
Oil – 1 tbsp
Green chilli  - 1 or 2 as per taste

Method:


Heat 1 tbsp white oil and add green cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. Add the chopped onion and sauté till soft and not brown. Take it off the flame and allow to cool. When cool put it in a blender along with cashew nuts green chilies and curd. Blend it to a fine puree.

Heat the pan and sauté the paste. Add salt and white pepper stirring continuously to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add half cup warm water along with the boiled green peas. Crush kasturi methi with your hand and add it to the pan. Add the paneer (optional) at this stage. Lower the heat and gradually add the milk stirring continuously. Similarly add the cream slowly stirring continuously. When the gravy turns thick, transfer to a serving dish. Serve with naan, roti or paratha.

No comments:

Post a Comment