Saturday 13 August 2011

Sorshe Begun (Brinjals in Mustard)


As a baby like almost everybody else I hated vegetables.  My mother was a adventurer when it came to cooking. Her adventures with North Indian cuisine convinced her that onion and garlic added greatly to the taste and substance of most recipes.  I remember once, when we were served Sorshe Begun, my brother and I sat looking distastefully at the hated vegetable glistening with oil, covered in a brown mush of ground masalas. I remember remarking too, that they looked like drowned rats. My mother turned on me with contained fury, telling me not to talk rubbish and not to insult my food. As the years rolled by we got used to eating this vegetable, and later on I started loving it. Here is how I make the Sorshe Begun.

Ingredients:
Brinjals – 250 gms (small)
Mustard paste – 25 gms
Mustard Oil – 50 gms
Kalo jeera (Nigella seeds) – ¼ tsp
Green chillies – 2-3 slit lengthwise
Turmeric powder – 2 tbsp
Chilli powder – 2 tbsp
Sugar – to taste
Salt – to taste
Water – 40 ml

Method:
Wash the brinjals and pat dry with a kitchen towel and then cut into quarters length-wise.

To make mustard paste soak the mustard seeds in water for 10 minutes and grind to a coarse paste with 2 green chillies and ¼ tsp salt.

In a bowl take the turmeric and red chilli powder and make a paste with some water and keep aside.

Heat the mustard oil to a smoking point add nigella seeds  and slit green chillies, then add the brinjals and the soaked powdered masala and brinjals.  Cook on low hear till the brinjals are done Add mustard paste and sugar and cook for 2-3 min. Turn off the flame and add a little mustard oil and check the seasoning. Serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment