Friday 27 July 2012

Paav Bhaji

In December2011, my school friends decided to meet in Mumbai. As I am located in the east of India, I seldom get to meet any of them. It's been great to see so many familiar faces after so long. Most of them are looking more and more like me, having added a few inches to their waist-line!

I was an urban adolescent studying in a convent living in a nuclear family with my baby brother.


Talking about food, I must mention the two people whom I fondly remember......Beenu Adlakha and Gautamy Roy.Way back in the eighties Beenu prepared the most amazing Pizzas, right from scratch at her place. And Gautamy she was with me everywhere, the gola shops, churan shops .....



I am a huge fan of Mumbai food......Punjabi Aloo samosa, Khasta kachori with chutney, Masala dal vada  and yes, also the ever-popular street food like Bhel puri, Panipuri, Papdi Chaat and.... Paav Bhaji!!


Fried onion & green capsicum with Pavbhaji masala




Bhaji




Buttered Pav

                                   
Pav Bhaji


Who would have thought it would travel far and wide! Over the years I have honed my skills. Pav Bhaji is a favourite with not only the mumbaikars its a hot favourite at my place too. Eat your heart out!

U will require half a cabbage, a small cauliflower, two potatoes, four green chillies, one onion finely chopped, four beans chopped, two carrots chopped. Chop these veggies and pressure cook them well. Keep aside to cool.

Heat 2 tbsp refined oil in a deep pan and saute one finely chopped onion. Add one finely chopped green capsicum and saute on low flame till both are brown.

Add the greens of two spring onions chopped, 1/2 tsp ginger and 1/2 tsp garlic freshly grated. Saute well.

Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,1 tsp red chilly powder, salt and sugar to taste. Saute well. Add 2 tbsp Everest Pav Bhaji Masala and 2 cups of tomato chopped and the boiled vegetables. Mash very well with the help of a potato masher to make a smooth paste.

Now add 1/2 cup boiled and soft  peas. Simmer for fifteen minutes. Adjust the seasoning according to taste.

Garnish with finely chopped spring onions,finely chopped corriander and wedges of lime.  Top with butter. Serve with buttered pav. 








THANKS FOR VISITING.... I HOPE YOU WOULD HAVE FOUND MY POSTS USEFUL....PLEASE LEAVE BACK YOUR COMMENTS....I WOULD BE HAPPY TO HEAR FROM YOU....

No comments:

Post a Comment