Monday 25 February 2013

Broccoli Soup


 Broccoli is one of the best sources of folic acid that we women need in plenty in our diets. It is also rich in calcium and protein. There are three types of soups....Clear, thick and Miscellaneous (soups that have chunks of meat or vegetables in them). This one is a thick soup according to me.

This recipe is adopted from cookery expert Tarla Dalal's "Broccoli Broth". As she says, its a soup that's really quick to make and requires just a few ingredients. I have used only those ingredients that were available at home and didn't make any effort to put together those mentioned in the original recipe.
However, I have written all ingredients down for everyone interested....


Broccoli Soup




Ingredients :

Broccoli, chopped.................................................1 cup
Onions, chopped...................................................1/2 cup
Olive Oil/Refined Oil.............................................1 tbsp
Milk........................................................................1/2 cup
Wheat Germ..........................................................1 tsp
Processed Cheese..................................................1 tbsp
Salt..........................................................................as per taste
Pepper Corns(Whole)..........................................10


Broccoli Soup


This Is What I Did :


Here, instead of olive oil I used butter. Heat 2 tbsp Butter in a pan. Add the Peppercorns and  Onions and saute till they turn translucent.

I added the chopped Broccoli and stir-fried a bit before adding 1 1/2 cups of water
Add the cheese also.
When the whole thing begins to boil and softens a bit remove from flame and cool .

Puree in a blender/ liquidiser and transfer to a pan.

The original recipe said ....add milk,  wheat germ , cheese and bring to a boil but, as  
at my place Mr Hubby  and his mom are lactose intolerant I dropped the use of milk. Wheat Germ I didn't have, so I have avoided that as well.

Add  salt and adjust the seasoning according to taste. Grate processed Cheese and garnish. Add a drop of cream or butter before serving if you like.

Serve Hot.

Enjoy this simple and delicious Broccoli soup .... 




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for peas kochuri recipe. The filing tasted just like my mother's kochuri. Infact when I was trying to make this I could not call my mom due to the time difference between hemispheres. Your blog is quite unique and the food reminds me of what I grew up eating. Incidentally, I am from Jamshedpur and my mom grew up in Agra. I am posting this here because for some reason I could not comment on the kochuri post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx dear,so nice of you to appreciate.would love to know you better. we are presently in Kolkata but most of our family are still in Jamshedpur. Thats why we have similar food habits as you. do write in whenever you can.

      Delete
    2. Do you visit Jamshedpur often? My father's family has been in Jsr. for ages. For all you know, I might even know some of your relatives.
      AM

      Delete
    3. Yes i do visit Jamshedpur, though not often.I have relatives all over jamshedpur,I lived in New Rajendra Nagar,sakchi,myself.My aunt in law lives in Nildih Enclave (Off Nildih) and my uncle Mr Anil Chakraborty lives on Sakchi main road, among many others.I have relatives in Telco colony as well.I'm sure we may be connected in a lot of ways.

      Delete