Sunday 31 March 2013

Pishima r Chicken


Pishima, my  late Father in laws sister has come to visit, to stay for a few days with us. She and my 
Ma in law  were up to their stories, discussion wound round the streets of Lucknow and the narrow lanes of Agra and I was all ears.....Pishima and her siblings were very naughty...stories said it all.



Aarti Pishi From London


It was a huge house we lived in, remember ? she said to Ma, surrounded by greenary. We had a
 long Varandah (Patio) and rooms spread out on all sides. Now these children don't believe us when they have KFC in between  their fingers, that we weren't allowed to haveMurgi ( chicken) at our place. Our childhood was absolutely different and the present " Macdonald" generation wont believe it when we say that
 no non-veg was ever cooked inside the kitchen, even onion-garlic wasn't allowed entry. Non-veg ( that too only fish preparations) was always cooked outside, that too in the far end of the courtyard !

Utensils kept aside separate and after eating men were to cleanse themselves before entering the house.
We were upper class Brahmin's and had "Narayan" so this had to be done.



Pishima continued with her story....Once my eldest cousin decided that he would cookMurgi ,as he had heard from his other friends that it tasted delicious. We kids were all asked to keep it a top secret, none of the elders were to know or else we would be thrashed properly. Very excitedly we four little ones agreed to it. It was great fun to keep a secret!!

Now, the decision was easy to make but where in the hell would we keep the live chicken? Earlier dressed chicken was not heard of and one had to buy a Whole Live Chicken !!

Now it was decided that the chicken would be hidden in the store where coal was kept. In those days,
 gas stoves were unheard of and coal  ovens were used in the kitchen for  cooking. So my elder brother bought a chicken  and kept it locked till evening as he arranged for other things.The chicken was to be had at dinner.

Now all was done top secret and we got down to eat. Fathers seat was moved away from ours so that he would not notice that we were having chicken. We very happily were having our food , chatting excitedly, giggling away......when suddenly mid-way through the meal Babu ji (We called him that lovingly) asked in his deep voice.....the food is delicious , but why haven't I been served that dish.....pointing to the chicken !!!

All of us became serious at once. The munching stopped all at once and there was pin drop silence ....

Babuji broke the silence....breaking into a laughter.....
Ha Ha ha ha.........and you kids thought I wouldn't know what was going on in my own house, he said laughing.

We were spared the spanking that night, but Ma made us all remove our clothes and take a bath after that dinner, in the freezing temperatures of Lucknow winter!!









Aarti Pishi with niece payal mukherji


 Pishima with Nephew Soumitra Chatterjee



Unlike today, old memories were never photographed. Memories need to be captured I feel. If you don't write it down you'll lose some of it.



Doi Diye Murgir Kalia :


Murgi (chicken)...........................1,cut into big size pieces
Onion Paste.................................of two medium onions
Ginger Paste................................1 tbsp
Garlic Paste.................................1 tbsp
Yoghurt.......................................500 grams
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder........1/2 tsp
Green Chilly Paste.......................2 tsp or as per taste
Salt..............................................to taste
Bay Leaf......................................2
Clove...........................................2
Cinnamon.....................................2
Green Cardamom.........................2
Desi Ghee.....................................4 tbsp
Refined Oil...................................1tsp
Sugar...........................................1/2 tsp 
Turmeric Powder.......................1/2 tsp

Method :

Heat the Desi ghee in a deep pan and add the Bay leaves,Cinnamon, Cardamoms, Cloves in it.

Almost immedietely, add the Onion-Ginger- Garlic-Green chilly pastes. Stir to fry all of them well till the ghee rises to the top.

Add salt and the Mangsho. Cook till all are reddish.

Now add a little water to the Yoghurt and beat well. Add this yoghurt and mix all in.

Put a lid and allow the murgi to cook on low flame.

When the chicken is soft serve it with rice or roti. But before you do so kalia must have its bright red colour. For that heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan.In it add 1/2 tsp sugar and caramalise it. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilly powder to it.
Before everything burns add to the kalia .

Enjoy !!








THANKS FOR VISITING.... I HOPE YOU WOULD HAVE FOUND MY POSTS USEFUL....PLEASE LEAVE BACK YOUR COMMENTS....I WOULD BE HAPPY TO HEAR FROM YOU....

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joyoti! I am loving your blog :). I'm visiting Calcutta for the first time from the USA and love the city so far. I'm intrigued by Bengali food and want to learn more! I write a food blog with my mom, and am traveling India collecting recipes. I am trying to learn at least one traditional recipe from each region of India that I visit. So far, I've made Poha and Pudina Chutney in Maharashtra and Gajar Halwa in Gujarat. My blog is www.crosscounterxchange.com, please have a look and let me know what you think. I would love to meet up while I'm in the city. I'll be in Cal until April 10th. Please contact me at shainashealy@gmail.com - I would love to meet up and talk about food blogging and Bengali recipes! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shaina,its so nice to hear from you. Would have loved to meet you and your mother but we are celebrating my late father-in-laws 1st death anniversary at my in laws and being in a joint family I simply wont be able to make it. Our house is at present packed with relatives and guests who are here for the function.I hope you will understand.Pl do keep reading and commenting on my posts and if you like my blog please consider following it.Thanks.
      P.S: For authentic Bengali Cuisine pl visit "Fish Fish" at Ballygunj.Chef Debashish Kundu is a dear friend and will surely take very good care of you.

      Delete