Tuesday 4 March 2014

My Instant Gulab Jamun











The Instant (Baby Milk Powder) Gulab Jamun


Gulab Jamun's are small deep fried dumplings / balls dipped in sugar syrup. I followed a simple recipe made with milk powder.

This Valentine's Day Mr.S. decided to ditch me and spend his evening with his school friends !!
They had found each other on a social networking site,  after a gap of many years and had chosen Valentine's day to meet and catch up. Not knowing about his plans for the evening I decided to surprise him. I didn't think I would be left to myself and decided to cook an interesting dinner to share with hubby dearest. 
Desserts are what we Bengali's enjoy the most as we all have a terrible sweet tooth. I decided to make Gulab Jamun's myself for my Valentine  .

Now, my darling daughter had left behind, Adi,my grand son's baby milk powder, on her last visit and that caught my attention. I decided to use that milk powder and look at what I made....


Gulab Jamun's being fried
Treat your family, to melt in the mouth Gulab Jamun's that are very easy to make. Celebrate any occasion, anytime with soft, juicy Gulab Jamun's. Follow my "Instant" Gulab Jamun recipe and surprise all .





Ingredients :

Milk Powder (I used Nan 1 baby food ).........1 cup
Refined Flour (Maida)......................................1 tbsp
Baking Powder.........................................1/4 tsp
Yogurt......................................................1 tbsp
Desi Ghee................................................4 tsp

For The Filling :


Green Cardamom seeds / very finely chopped pistachios / Everest Kesri Milk Masala  Mix/ Sugar candy& Saffron
I used Everest  Kesri Milk Masala Mix as i wanted to make Instant Gulab Jamuns.

Used this as filling

Sugar Syrup :


Sugar..........................................................1 cup
Water.........................................................1 cup
Lemon Juice................................................1 tsp


For Deep Frying :

White Oil / Desi Ghee....................................as required

Gulab Jamun's in  hot syrup




Preparation :


In a pan, put water to boil with the sugar.When it comes to a boil, add the lemon juice. This is done to remove the impurities.Take out the scum as it rises to the top and remove with a large spoon.


In a mixing bowl, take the milk powder, flour, baking powder, yogurt and desi ghee.Add water,  slowly, little by little and knead into a smooth dough. Keep the dough aside.


Take white oil or desi ghee in a deep pan and heat for deep frying.


Divide the dough into equal size balls. Apply ghee on your hands when making the balls, as the dough will be sticky. Make small holes and put the filling inside .Cover up and  smoothen the balls.
Deep fry in low heat.When golden remove and drop into hot syrup. 

The Gulab Jamun balls have to be added immediately after frying into the sugar syrup. The sugar syrup should also be hot then the Gulab Jamun's will soak up the syrup well and become really soft.




No comments:

Post a Comment