Friday 12 April 2013

Maach Posto (Fish with Poppy Seed Paste )


To be absolutely honest, when I first started writing, I didn't think I would have the kind of time to pen down anything more than a few short recipes. I went through a few blogs and on reading I found that in most, Appearances and style count more than substance.

I started writing just the recipes so that the time constraint be managed but as I kept going about it, it turned into the most exhilarating experience and I felt as if I have been pursuing my hidden passion. I found out that I can actually write about my experiences. There are many moments in the past that one never forgets. A few years back before I started writing, I just wouldn't have thought anyone would bother reading. I suppose it's the heart that fills with love at the very mention of Indian food. I started deriving my ingredients from day-to-day happenings.

 Most Bengali men love fish and river fish it has to be, sea fish is a last choice. Meat is a Sunday treat in every Bengali home.  All week we have the same problem of monotony
with Rui and Katla and I keep scratching my head wondering what to make with these. Now you will say  what about Kaalia or Doi Maach  but I get bored cooking them too. 
So last week when Sarojda and Vandana boudi came to dinner I made a new dish which was a hit. Ingredients were simple but the taste exceptional, you will agree once you try making it. It will always be a hit cause it contains Posto and Poppy seed is every Bengali's favourite.










 Fry the fish pieces and make flakes of the fish. Remove the bones carefully. 
We will need 250 grams of Rui or Katla Maach.

Grind 4 tbsp Poppy Seeds  with 2 Green Chilly's. Finely chop 2 medium size onions,1 inch piece of Ginger and 2 flakes of Garlic. Grate 1 large Tomato.
Heat 4 tbsp Refined Oil and fry the fish pieces. Now, in the same oil add 1 pinch Nigella Seeds (Kalo Jeere) and then the onion- Ginger-Garlic and Green Chilly.
Cook sauteing all the time . Add the grated tomato and fry till oil separates. Add the fish flakes and keep sauteing. Add 1/2 Turmeric Powder,Salt as per taste , a pinch of sugar, 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder and 1/2 tsp pepper Powder. Keep Frying.
Add the Poppy Seed paste and sprinkle  some water, put a lid,cover and cook on low flame for a minute or two. Then remove the lid and mix.
When the mix dries and starts to leave the sides, its ready to serve.
This dish is a dry dish.

  
Maach Posto





No comments:

Post a Comment