Monday 12 August 2013

Ilish Paturi (Hilsa with Mustard Wrapped in a Banana Leaf)



























Have you seen these before? I think now these are extinct. I have used these in my childhood. Used 10 paise coin the most. Ma gave it to me when we went to Benachity Market for Sunday Puja at Bhiringi Kali Bari and then shopping. Every Sunday was a funday for me as we (Ma,Bapi,bro n I) packed in our white Ambassador went to the most congested market places on earth, Benachity !
The ten paise coin given in the morning got us a number of lozenges. It brightened up my day!!
Life was simple and small things thrilled us.

Mr Hubby says, when he was in school, they used to have "Rupaiya-Anna-paii (1 paise was called paii)" With the introduction of 1 Rupee =100 naya paise , these went out of practice. The value of money decreased and 1 paise, 2 paise, 5paise,10 paise, 20 paise, 25 paise all vanished. All had to learn the conversion of old Rupaiya-Anna-Paii into Rupaiya- naya Paise !
Now days, we don't see even 50 paise coins being used any more.
Even the five rupee notes are no more.











Most of these old coins are no more in use. collectors like me still have them

Now to get back to cooking, now days we are getting plenty of Hilsa in our Kolkata fish markets.
My fish monger, Pachu, says "its smuggled across the border from Bangaladesh" in hushed voice.

Ilish Maacher Paturi, all Bengali's would agree is something to die  for. Its my favourite type of "Paturi" . The Hilsa bones don't scare me and any day I would choose Ilish over other fishes.
There's nothing you cant do with the fish. It's natures gift to us. Bengali's have discovered the many faces of this gift "Ma Ganga" (The great river Ganges) has given us.


Hilsa fish Wrapped With Mustard in a Banana Leaf




Mr Hubby got these fresh and tasty Hilsa pieces this weekend and wanted me to cook Paturi.
Now Paturi as all Bengali's know, is a process in which the  marinated fish pieces are coated in Mustard paste and then wrapped in banana leaves and roasted or steamed. When cooked in a banana leaf, the smell gets infused and the taste is awesome. This is in actual a recipe that's effortless......really....believe me. All it needs is a little preparation.

I use the white variety of mustard unlike others cause it's less pungent.
Grind 4 tbsp mustard seeds with a pinch of salt and 2 green chilly's. Its best done in a mortar and pestle.

In a flat plate, take 4 fish pieces and the mustard paste, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 8 slit green chilly's,
4 tbsp raw mustard oil .Mix well. Rub the paste and spices well to the fish pieces. Adjust the salt.

Heat the banana leaves to make them soft and easy to fold.

Grease the banana leaves with a drop of mustard oil . Now place the fish pieces with masala and wrap like an envelop. Secure  the envelops with thread.

Coat a non-stick pan with a little oil and place the envelops on the pan. Now cook the parcels on low heat till the banana leaves are well browned on both sides.

Serve with plain Rice.

Tip : Sometimes I also cook in the oven at 180 degrees for 15-20  minutes.




1 comment: