Sunday 30 December 2012

Koi Macher Jhol(Fish curry with Vegetables)



Koi Maacher Jhol  Aloo Phulkofi Diye



Koi Mach is also known as Climbing Gouramie. This is one of my favourite dishes of all times. 

Everybody knows Bengali cuisine is all about fish, fish and more fish and koi is a delicacy. This dish is very simple to cook and tastes superb.







Koi Maach can be very tricky to handle, as its very slimy. So its best to get your fish monger cut , degill and prepare it for you. In my childhood I used to watch my ma do it quite easily  at home but I have never been able to master the process so I leave it to my help Anjali. 


Ingredients:


250 gm Koi Fish
Salt to taste
A pinch of Sugar
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 Potato
2 Green Chilli
1 Tomato
1 tsp Ginger Grated / Paste
1 Small Size Cauliflower

Steps:

1)Wash & Clean  the fish. Smear with some turmeric and salt and keep aside for 10 min.
2)Cut potato into lengthwise and cauliflower and tomato into medium pieces.
3)In a small bowl, take 1tsp cumin powder , 1 tsp coriander powder , a little turmeric mixed with some water.
4)Fry the fish and keep it aside.
Heat oil in kadai then add cumin seeds and green chilly to crackle in oil.
5)Then add potato and cauliflower . Fry it well.
6)Add the previously soaked masala ,1 tsp ginger grated, salt , a pinch sugar and small size tomato(sliced). Fry for some time till the masala is cooked. Stir well and add water as required. Lastly add the fried fish. Cover the lid and simmer for 5-10 mins .
7)Serve hot with plain rice.








3 comments:

  1. I like Aloo phulkofi diye Koi Maacher Jhol.Sunirmal Basu Silchar Assam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to hear from you. We Bengali's do love our fish,don't we. You must be knowing a few different ways of cooking it too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. koi mach vapa made by my grandma and now my mom is my favourite fish recipae

    ReplyDelete